Thursday 22 October 2020

CHAPTER 7: Guys' Night Out

 


Jeremy Saint came home after work one evening to find Travis Scott waiting at his front door.

"Evening, Travis, did the girls kick you out?" Said Jeremy.

"Well, they're having a night in with that new chick, Suzy. It's wall to wall fashion chat right now" replied Travis. "There's a Humor & Hijinks Festival in town, do you fancy going?"

"Sure; I've had a full day with reports and filing so I need a break...plus I'm hungry and don't feel like cooking"

They travelled downtown, to the arts quarter; a vision in minimalist brutalist architecture. Looking around, there were a decent number of people gathering...many of them women.

"Play your cards right, my friend...play your cards right" said Travis


There were various punch bowls arranged around the public square and people were drinking with gusto from them. "I'm a jokester!" one would cry and "I'm with the Pranksters!" said another. Jeremy wondered what they put in the punch, considering that mind altering chemicals were all the rage now.

Travis and Jeremy decided not to sample the punch and join in the raucous antics of the others; they preferred to sit back, watch and enjoy the atmosphere. Plus they were hungry. Jeremy tried some kind of Creole kebab on a stick and as soon as he sat down to eat, sure enough, a woman sat next to him and began a conversation.


She was very young, just out of her teens Jeremy guessed, and VERY talkative. "Hi, I'm Julia. I'm a final year med student. I haven't picked my specialty yet. I might opt for either cardio thorasics or podiatry. I'm looking to move out of my folks place. They're classic Jewish parents, by the way, don't get me started. *Snort*." She laughed. "Anyway they want me to stay at home until I at least begin my internship but my Mom wants me to stay well after that but I told her the commute times were terrible. So I'm a modern woman and have proven myself at med school despite it being full of men. Are you into women's lib? I'm not sure, but it's interesting"

Jeremy nodded a lot during this. He admired her pep and confidence and could only answer about women's lib "well....I...er...don't know that much about it". Maybe it was the drink Travis bought for him talking but he found himself uttering the kiss of death pick up line "so what's your star sign?". Julia was not impressed and walked off.

Catching up with Travis, both men looked at each other with resignation. "You struck out too?" said Travis.

"Yep. Well, there's always the comedy to enjoy" replied Jeremy. "Hey, wait....Haven't I seen that comedian on TV or something?"

"That's Penny Pizzazz, the woman who writes about culture in Hey, Wow! magazine. Suzy was telling me about her the other day" said Travis.

For a style and culture reporter, she wasn't a bad stand up comic. The two buddies drank their beers and forgot all about their sucky dating lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment