Wednesday 28 October 2020

CHAPTER 24: Downtime

 


The tranquillity of John Action's day off was broken by the sounds of an argument brewing outside his house. He couldn't make out what was being said but the voices were a man and a woman in a heated exchange. Action instinctively checked his .38 service revolver...just in case. He stepped out of his front door and onto the porch to see what was going on.


"I'm telling you, Nancy, don't bring Bella into this! She's suffered enough!" said the man.

"Well, you need to watch what she says to people who stick their noses in our business" replied the woman.

"Your business, you mean! I want none of it!" the man was getting really angry now whilst the woman remained icily cool.

"Hey, do you cats mind? Some of us are trying to get some peace and quiet here!" said Action, interrupting.

"Back off, mister!" barked the man. Action bristled at that, took a deep breath and sauntered over to the arguing couple.

"I don't like being spoken to in that tone....the name's Action, Sim City PD" he said, brandishing his badge. The man rolled his eyes in disbelief.

"I'm sorry officer, this is just a disagreement between old acquaintances" said the man.

"Is this true?" said Action, turning to the woman.

"It's true...Mortimer and I have known each other for years. There's nothing amiss here, Officer." she said, her eyes shrouded in large sunglasses which made it difficult to detect her expression.

"Nonetheless I'm going to have to take your names and give you a verbal warning" said Action. "Folk around here don't want a disturbance...even if it's between old acquaintances."

"Mortimer Goth" said the man.

"Nancy Landgraab" said the woman. "You may have heard of me? My family donates generously to the police benevolent fund."

"I heard of you, Mrs Landgraab" said Action.

"Is that all, Officer?" said Goth. Action nodded and the man stormed off. Action turned to Nancy Landgraab.

"So, what brings you around these parts, Mrs Landgraab?" he said, slyly. "Isn't it a bit low brow for your tastes around here?"

"I like to run and now if you've QUITE finished I haven't finished my exercise yet"

Action waved her on but thought about what he'd seen and heard. He knew Suzy Kent from across the road was looking into the Landgraab family for an article she was writing. When he next saw her, he'd decided to tell her what he witnessed.

Action decided to head to the gym for a workout: A routine he stuck to since his days in the Marines.



John Action pictured the desk sergeant's face on the punching bag and gave it some powerful uppercuts and roundhouses. It felt good to unwind whilst working out and the job could wait for now whilst he pumped iron. His muscles felt toned and buff so he hit the showers and got changed. Going downstairs, he noticed two people he knew, Suzy Kent and Jeremy Saint, enter the gym so he stopped his sparring to go over them.

"Suzy...Jeremy...how's it hangin'?" he said.

"How's it what?" said Jeremy, not up on his slang.

"Pretty good, Action" replied Suzy.

"Hey, I got some information you might find interesting, Suzy. This morning I saw Mortimer Goth and Nancy Landgraab having an argument...Goth was warning Landgraab about not bothering his wife but she said that someone was going around asking too many questions of the Goths. Could that be you by any chance?"


"I've been talking to the Goths for a story I'm planning" Suzy replied.

"Well, just watch your step...Nancy Landgraab's got you on her radar"

"Thanks, Action, for the heads up" she said. Action nodded to her and Jeremy and went on his way. He'd exercised his body, now it was time to exercise his charm. He headed over to the Blue Velvet to check out the scene.

Action swaggered his way to the bar, sat down and said to the bartender "my usual, please"

"You have a usual?" replied the confused looking bartender

"I do now" he said, pointing to a bottle of bourbon. The bartender nodded and poured him a drink. A very attractive blonde wearing white hot pants and matching go-go boots sat next to him.


"Can I get you a drink, Miss?" he asked.

"Yes please....a sweet n' sour. Hi, my name's Candy"

"Of course it is" said Action. "I haven't seen you here before because if I had I'd sure remember"

"Oh I'm in here a lot but we must be just missing each other" she replied.

"Well not tonight" he said, slyly. They chatted and laughed and seemed to be getting on. Action liked this groovy chick and decided to move things along. "Say, I'm getting hungry...what about you and me grab a bite to eat. I know this cool Italian place not far from here. Fancy joining me? I hate to eat alone"

"Sounds neat...just let me freshen up and let's head on out" she replied.


"Well, here we are" said Action as they arrived at the restaurant.

"Looks nice...classy. You must be able to afford to eat here; what's your line of work?" she asked.

"I'm a cop" he replied.

"Ah.....well....is that the time? I promised to meet my...erm…aunt! My aunt, she needs me. Rain check? Good! Bye!" and with that she ran off.

Action fumed. He hated being jerked around like that....she hated cops! More and more people these days hated the police; revolution, protests, disobedience. He spent 6 years in the Marines, did a tour in Simdo-China, came back and joined the police and this was the thanks he got! So much for a land fit for heroes. Action stormed off back home.


Well, his day of living it large didn't pan out the way he'd hoped. Still, he was intrigued by what had gone on between Goth and Landgraab. Maybe Suzy was on to something? Finishing his meal he looked out the window and saw a young woman standing in the middle of the road, not noticing the traffic. Action was quick out the door and yelled to her. She snapped out of her daydream and got out of the way before a car could hit her.

"Say, lady, you need to watch where you're going" he said.

"Oh, my apologies. I was receiving a message and didn't notice the traffic" she replied.

"Receiving a message?" said Action.

"Did I say that? I meant, I heard someone calling"

"Other than me?"

"Yes...but I don't know who" she said, awkwardly.


"Well...just take care in future. I might not be around to help you" said Action. The lady apologised again and walked off. "What a day!" thought Action. "What a day..."

No comments:

Post a Comment