Wednesday 28 October 2020

CHAPTER 25: The Package

 


Another day, another Simoleon. Jeremy Saint arrived back from Dewey, Cheathem & Howe exhausted and hungry. It was time to whip up a good old weekday staple; Mac n' cheese but as he was dishing up he smelled something nasty....a burning, rubbery smell coming from the stove. And that's when he noticed the sparks coming out of it.

"Bother, bother, bother" said Jeremy to himself. He phoned up the repair company; they promised him their best man will be around that evening to fix it. Well, that was a relief.

An hour later the doorbell rang and Jeremy spied someone wearing red overalls and a tool belt at his front door. Excellent, he thought, it was their best man. He opened the door and saw it was...


"I'm here to fix your stove" said the woman.

"Ah you must be..."

"The company's best man? Yeah, that's how they describe me because if they said 'best woman' people would phone our rivals" she replied.

"So are you?..." Jeremy said, nervously.

"Their best? Sure. I can fix anything you got Mister"

"Well, in that case here's the stove...I think it's..."

"An electrical problem...yeah, you get that with the Yum Cooker series. It has a poor wiring design. OK, let me get to work on this and I'll call you when I'm done." she said.

Jeremy was impressed by her coolness and let her get on with it. He settled down at his desk to go over office paperwork and no sooner had he started that he heard the repair woman say "finished!".

"What, so soon?" he said, entering the kitchen.

"Yep...like the man said, I'm their best"

"Well...would you like a coffee, I mean, you came out here at this hour and have done things in double quick time"

"Sure" she said, cracking a smile. "It's been a looooooong day"


"Back in my home town, we used to call out old man Cleary to fix everything. I guess he was my image of a repairman" said Jeremy.

"Well, this is the big city, Mr Saint, things are a lot different around here. Folk still don't trust a repairwoman these days" she replied.

"Well, I'll ask for you specifically in future" said Jeremy.

"Much obliged...anyways, must be getting on...two more call outs before my shift ends" and with that she touched the peak of her cap and left.

Jeremy was tired now and got changed for bed when the doorbell rang. "She might have left a wrench behind..." he thought. "Or it's Travis wanting a late night chat. Man, why do they leave it so late to disturb me?" Answering the door he noticed it was a complete stranger at his door. A man in trendy shirt with huge sideburns.


"Er, hi...I'm sorry to disturb you" said the man, noticing that Jeremy was in his pyjamas and robe. "I'm Burr and I'm a friend of your neighbour, Suzy Kent."

"Yeah, I know Suzy...what can I help you with?" replied Jeremy.

"I just called around to her place but she's not in....look, I've got these documents I thought she might be interested in for her work. She's working on a story and these are relevant." Burr handed Jeremy an A4 sized envelope that was heavily sealed with Sellotape. "These are REALLY important. I can't just push them into her mailbox, someone might take them so I'd feel better if I handed them to you to give to her...she's mentioned your name as a trustworthy friend."

"Oh, well....I'll make sure she gets them" said Jeremy, taking the envelope.

"Cheers, man, they're REAL important, remember?"

Jeremy nodded and Burr left. Jeremy looked at the envelope...what could be in it? To make sure they were extra safe, he put them under his pillow before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment