Friday 23 October 2020

CHAPTER 9: I Just Dropped By


In life you're either active or passive. Jeremy Saint felt that for too long he'd been passive. He wanted a love life and instead of going out and making that happen he sat around waiting for opportunities to come to him. He'd also been too dependent on Travis Scott as a wingman. Or was he Travis' wingman? Either way the two buddies were getting in each other's way. It was time Jeremy flew solo, be bold and make a choice!

But who? There was Summer and Liberty but Travis seemed to be the idol of their affections and he didn't want to get in the way of that. Katrina Caliente? She was an older woman who'd devour him on the spot! Suzy Kent? She was lovely but she wasn't around much...she seemed to live a life of glamorous parties. Then there was Julia, the talkative med student. Hmmm, she seemed too bossy. But there was one name that kept coming back to him...one person who's image in his mind brought a smile and hope of anticipation: Bianca Gregory...even her name sounded melodic.

He took the plunge, picked up the phone and called her.

"Bianca...it's Jeremy. Jeremy? The guy from Foundry Cove? You popped around to borrow a cup of sugar?......Do you remember? Yes, that guy. Anyway I was wondering if you're free this evening....you are? Great! You're on your way over? Sure!"

Jeremy rang off and did a little jig of victory. 15 minutes later there was a ring at the doorbell. Jeremy mustered up his courage and suavely opened the door. Bianca was there, looking somewhat bored. She ambled into his house.

"Thanks for the call, Johnny" she said.

"Erm, Jeremy, actually"

"Sorry, did I call you Johnny? Tsch, where am I today? It's been a crazy couple of days with work, family, friendships....do you mind if we just hang out?" she continued.


"Sure" he replied "let me fix you a drink and you can tell me all about it" but no sooner as he opened up his drinks cabinet than the doorbell rang again. "If it's Travis again, I'm going to have to set some ground rules about calling unannounced" said Jeremy, opening the door.

But it wasn't Travis. It was another woman; a darker skinned lady in a yellow dress.

"Hi...oh....you're not Johnny" she said, startled.

"No, I'm Jeremy" he replied.

"This is 5 Foundry Cove?" she asked.

"Yes, but there's no-one called Johnny here"

"That Johnny, doesn't even know where he lives. Oh I'm Zoe by the way; Zoe Patel"

Jeremy shook her hand and said hello. Bianca then appeared. "Oh, am I intruding on a prior arrangement?" she said.

"NO! I mean, it's...erm...I mean I wasn't expecting anyone else" he stumbled.


The two young women talked more about fashion, Johnny Zest and the ongoing conflict in Simdo-China. Jeremy mixed the drinks. After half an hour Zoe got up and made her apologies. "I didn't mean to intrude on your evening...nice to meet you two. Bianca, let's meet up for lunch sometime"

"Groovy!" replied Bianca. She showed Zoe out and after closing the door, she turned to Jeremy. "I haven't forgotten about you" she said, smiling. Bianca walked around his living room and study; examining his bookshelf. "I see you have a wide reading selection. Do you like to read?"

"When I can" he replied. Bianca's mood had changed; she seemed more interested in him now.

"I like that in a man" she said. She got chatting to him but Jeremy was starting to flag. He wanted to move things with her along a bit more but he was way too tired now. "But I see you're sleepy, Jeremy" she said. "We'll catch up again...thanks for inviting me around; I really appreciate the invite."

She gave him a cute little wave and was gone. Jeremy didn't know if he'd impressed her enough but for now, sleep was calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment