Saturday 24 October 2020

CHAPTER 12: A Little Gossip

 

"So you've actually met her?" asked Suzy Kent to her guest, Summer Holliday. They were talking about their neighbour and friend, Jeremy Saint.

"Oh yes...she seems nice and he seems very happy" replied Summer. "Did you....you know....ever see anything in Jeremy?"

Suzy tilted her head in thought for a moment. "Well, he's kind of cute...in a square kind of way" she said. "But I'm looking for a guy who's with it. Someone in with the in-crowd."

"Who goes where the in-crowd go?" replied Summer.

"Yeah, I could dig someone like that. What about you? Do you like Jeremy?"

Summer looked in to her coffee cup, trying to find the right thing to say. "Well......let's just say I'm keeping my options open. However, it looks like he's now with this Bianca so I may have missed my chance"

Meanwhile over at Crick Cabana...

"You're the best! You're a tiger! Grrrrr!" Jeremy Saint was practicing a motivational speech in his bathroom mirror. He'd just finished reading the book "How To Win Friends And Influence Sims" and was putting some of the lessons into practice.


He was making some progress when his alarm clock rang....time for work. He quickly spun into his business suit...shabby though it was...and rushed off to Dewey, Cheathem & Howe.

The day passed uneventfully and when he returned home he made himself some dinner....usually when he did that someone, usually a woman, would knock at his door, befriend him in public or otherwise try to distract him from eating. However, this time he ate without being bothered. It was only after dinner that the doorbell rang.

It was Travis. "Hey dude...I was looking for a specific book which I thought I had but didn't but I'm pretty sure you have a copy." he said.

"Sure, my bookshelf is in the study; first door on the right down there" replied Jeremy. "Hey, did Summer tell you about...." he was about to tell Travis about Bianca when there was another knock at the door. Jeremy abandoned his anecdote and answered the door; it was Zoe Patel standing outside.

"Hey there, Johnny" she said.

"Actually, it's Jeremy" he replied.

"Sure...that's what I said. Can I come in?"

Jeremy ushered her inside. Travis was still looking for the book.


"Yeah, all the guys were out this evening and I hate being in that house alone" explained Zoe.

"Who are 'the guys'?" asked Jeremy.

"Oh J, Gavin and Mitchell....my housemates"

"You share a house with 3 guys?" said Jeremy, incredulously.

"Oh sure, it's a totally groovy thing. Everyone's doing it; you know, you have friends you like to hang out with and you move in with them."

"I don't think my folks would like it if I lived with 3 girls" said Jeremy, shaking his head.

"You need to lighten up, Johnny...get with the times"

"Yeah..." said Travis, returning from the study. "Like I'm with Summer and Liberty and it's all natural, cool and without hang ups"

"Exactly!" said Zoe. "Looks like you could do with a woman's touch around here" she said, looking around at the drab furnishings.

Jeremy let out a disgruntled sigh. "Let's look for this book" he said, getting up and walking off to the study.

Zoe looked at Travis and mimed drawing a square with her fingers. Travis shrugged his shoulders. "He's cool, Zoe...but not in a modern way"



No comments:

Post a Comment